1. 2. 3. Northern Wisconsin Weather: March 9-11th snowstorm and ice shove pics. 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. March 9-11th snowstorm and ice shove pics. 27. 28.

29.
I've fallen even further behind on posts, too busy. However, I did want to briefly talk about the last snowstorm we had across the Northwoods, March 9th, 10th, 11th. With the way the weather is acting, it may be the last large snow of the season. It is still possible we'll get more snow, but the 540 dm (a guidance on the rain/snow demarcation) line keeps hanging around the Canadian border.

NWS Duluth released a map (to the right) of the snow totals across their county warning area (CWA).

The low pressure system was forecast by the models to move more slowly than it did, a perhaps a little further east. This would have brought the heaviest snow to the north shore of Lake Superior.


As it turned out, the low pushed off a little quicker and the heaviest snow fell around the International Falls area.

A few sections of northern Wisconsin still managed to measure over 6 inches of snow, north of Bayfield received 8 inches and Ironwood/Hurley also reached above 8 inches.


I measured 5.3 inches one day and 0.7 inches the next, giving me 6.0 inches total. The snow wasn't the only event, winds were quite strong too.


As promised, some ice shove pictures.

First, all credit for these goes to Mr. Couture. While I was present, I couldn't have gotten these pictures without him. Thanks!!!


I first estimated the height to be near 50 feet, I think I'd have to say closer to 30 feet now that I reviewed the pictures. Regardless, the ridge of ice is HUGE!!


This first shot (to the left) is from the bank above the beach, looking NW.


This second photo (to the right) is a bit closer to the ridge, looking a little more west than the first photo. The marks in the snow on the bottom are actually boot prints from other people who came to climb the ice.











And the last picture (to the left) is taken from the top of the ridge looking along the shoreline.

Off in the distance you can see two jagged points of ice sticking straight up in the air.










Current snow depth across Wisconsin.

The snow has been melting across the region this past week, but there are still pockets of deeper snow and remnant piles in the woods and rural areas.
In the entire state, I seem to have the most snow still on the ground, northern Vilas and Iron counties aren't too far behind me.

Meanwhile, the UP of Michican is still nicely covered with white stuff. Cooler temperatures, a partially ice-covered Lake Superior, and overall high snowfall this winter has created a longer-lasting snowpack across the UP.

This map (to the left) comes from John Dee and shows reported snow depth from yesterday morning.

The 17" in Bayfield County is my report.

So far this winter I have measured 78.8 inches of total snow.

The last snowfall last year at my location fell on April 14th, with a final total of over 90 inches.

Addendum: 3.20.09.

This afternoon I snapped two photos of the front yard, as it was snowing.

This first one (to the right) is my snow gauge. As previously mentioned, the snow drifts around it, providing for a lower reading than elsewhere in my yard. I believe OSNW3 mentioned he noticed a similar effect with his snow gauge.

This morning I reported 16.5" of snow on the ground. The gauge shows about 14".

This second picture (to the left) is my front yard this afternoon. Snow flurries are expected throughout the day, but accumulations will be minor.

The green snow gauge can be seen towards the back of the picture, the weather station is on the pole, and my snowboard is to the right of the weather station.

Labels: , ,

30. 31.