1. 2. 3. Northern Wisconsin Weather: Post 2... Great Backyard Bird Count 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. Post 2... Great Backyard Bird Count 27. 28.

29.
A quick look at the GBBC 2009.

I spent an hour, over three of the four count days, watching my yard and birdfeeder. I observed 7 species total.


OSNW3 (blog) in Oshkosh also spent some time counting for the GBBC, so I thought it'd be fun to post the total results from Washburn, WI and compare them to Oshkosh, WI.


Washburn, WI (to the right) seems to have had 6 people/groups report from the Count, counting a total of 12 species.

Oshkosh, WI (to the left) seems to have had 25 people/groups report from the Count, with a total of 34 species.

One one hand, more people observing would give a better chance to find more species. On the other, Oshkosh has had more mild weather than the northern section of the state, so naturally the warmer weather would allow more birds to forage for more food.

Comparing the two locations.

The most common species reported from the Wasburn area was Pine Siskin, while the most numerous from the Oshkosh area was Mallards. Both locations are on the edge of a very large lake, but with thick ice conditions on Chequamegon Bay there were no reports of waterfowl along Lake Superior.

Absent from the north were House Sparrows, Juncos, House Finches, and Cardinals. Northern Wisconsin is difficult for Cardinals, so it is no surprise that some species were not counted in the Washburn area.

Results for two species.

I've noticed an absence of Juncos in my yard this winter. They usually pass through my feeder several times a winter, never staying in one location too long across the north.

This map (to the right) shows the data for Dark-eyed Juncos around Wisconsin from this year's count.

It's clear from the map that Juncos are more prevalent in the south, while only sporadic in the north. So now I know that they are around, but few and far between. I still have hope that a few will find my yard yet this winter.

The other bird that was mentioned on my blog was the Blue Jay, by Derek (from NW Wisconsin Weather).

I have seen one or two Blue Jays occasionally hanging around my feeder. I'd rather they bother someone else since they are usually both pigs and bullies. In the last week they must have sensed my distaste and moved on to a neighbors, I didn't see any during the Count.

This map (to the left) shows the distribution of Blue Jays during the GBBC. It looks like Blue Jays are pretty widespread, but a little more numerous in the north.

All the places counted in Wisconsin.

I've found this map (to the right) after I wrote the earlier portion of this post. It shows all the locations which reported and the approximate number of lists from each location.

This year (2009) there were 1,847 lists submitted which counted 121 species across the state. The due date for submissions (internet & postal) is March 1st, so it is likely that a few more reports will be added to the tally in the next two weeks.

Last year (2008) there were 2,251 lists submitted with 114 species. It seems there was a bit less interest this year.

All results (from this and previous years) can be found on the 'Explore Results' page on the Great Backyard Bird Count's website.

Labels: ,

30. 31.