1. 2. 3. Northern Wisconsin Weather: Storm numbers, still cold. 4. 12. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20. 23. 24.

25. 26. Storm numbers, still cold. 27. 28.

29.
The storm system has pulled away, leaving sunny skies and cold temperatures.

The map (
to the right) is from USWX.com and shows the current weather watches, warnings, and advisories across Wisconsin.

The 'Other Statement' is a Windchill Advisory until 9:00 tomorrow morning (Thursday).

The 'Expire Statements' are the dropping of Winter Storm Warnings and Advisories. The weather we experienced last night as now moved into northern Michigan.

The Windchill Advisory from the NWS Duluth:

"WIND CHILLS ARE EXPECTED TO REMAIN
IN THE 25 TO 40 BELOW ZERO RANGE
THROUGH TONIGHT. WITH VALUES THIS
COLD...EXPOSED FLESH CAN FREEZE IN
5 TO 10 MINUTES!"
A fresh coating of snow.

The following to pictures (
to the left) are from my windows this morning. With the blowing and drifting that occurred last night, it was difficult to get a good number when I was measuring snow. I'll go with 1.5 " of new snow, and 13.5 " of snow currently on the ground. The new snow melted down to produce a water equivalent of 0.13 " with a liquid-to-snow ratio of 11.5:1.

I drove to Ashland last night from my house for dinner at a friend's house.
I know, I probably should have stayed home instead. A trip that normally takes 20 minutes on a nice day took 45 with me in 4-wheel drive a large portion of the way. Coming home at 22:30 was a little scary when the wind gusts produced a sheet of white on the road as I drove into the wind. Thankfully I didn't encounter any accidents and made it home safely.

Some of my numbers from the storm:


Lowest pressure: 29.026 "Hg at 23:20 on 1/28 Warmest temp: 42.5 degrees at 13:20 on 1/28
Coldest temp: -13.5 degrees at 3:00 on 1/30
Highest wind gust: 31 mph West at 22:50 on 1/29
Lowest wind chill: -32.4 at 2:45 on 1/30

Storm reports from across the State (and a little in the to the UP).

Below I will post some lists of other storm numbers I found, mainly highest wind gusts across the region and snowfall amounts.

I couldn't find as much data as I wanted, I only managed to go through the Local Storm Reports from the NWS Offices that posted data. For example, I was not able to find any wind chill data from the NWS Green Bay.


Currently here on the hill at 13:10.


Temp:
-7.7

Dpt:
-15.8

Baro:
30.05 "Hg

Wind:
6 mph gusting to 27 from WNW

Chill:
-20.9

Sky:
clear and sunny

One more night of cold.

Another cold night ahead of us before another warm-up begins. Up - down - up - down - up. The map (below) shows forecasted low temperatures tonight for the Upper Mississippi Valley from the NWS Graphical Forecast suite.

The forecast for my location calls for -14 overnight, but with lighter winds than last night. High temperatures tomorrow should climb above zero across most of the region. With some luck the sun will break through the colds too.

John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon is drawing to a close.

This morning I've been listening to the race on the HAM frequencies that are being used to coordinate the race and the checkpoints. Racers are starting to cross the finish line.

All the results can be found on the Marathon's website. From the original 27 racers:

Finished: 9
Still racing: 3
Withdrawn: 15

The official winner is Jason Barron from Lincoln, MT. He finished with 11 dogs in 34 hours and 43 minutes on the trail (with 32 hours 04 minutes of rest at checkpoints).

Looking ahead.

Another system will bring a chance of light snow to northern Wisconsin on Friday night and Saturday, but it looks like the system will stay too far south and east to be a threat here. Far southeast Wisconsin may see several inches of snow from this system.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

30. 31.